- Completion of the 5 required courses in the Certificate in Adult Learning Fundamentals +
- 3 additional electives
- 3 years to complete
This advanced-level certificate enables learners to confidently and competently design and facilitate learning experiences, while also exploring topics of interest in the field of adult learning. Learners will explore foundational theories and principles of adult learning, reflect on questions of diversity and inclusion, examine the stages of program design, identify appropriate instructional methods for a given context, and practice their facilitation skills. Depending on the elective courses selected, learners may also explore online design strategies, EDI initiatives for the workplace, Indigenous perspectives on teaching and learning, and/or topics around health and wellness.
What Will You Learn?
- Foundational principles and theories of adult learning
- Strategies for fostering inclusion in learning and workplace contexts
- The connection between needs assessment, learning outcomes and assessments
- Skills for effective facilitation and instruction both in-person and online
Who should take this Certificate?
You should enrol in this certificate program if you are interested in:
- Working in the field of adult education (training, facilitation, coaching, mentoring, etc.)
- Designing learning programs for adults
- Fostering inclusion in diverse learning experiences for adults.
Fees & Schedule
The fee for each course is $650.
Note: Your registration is not guaranteed until your seat is confirmed and you have been contacted by our Registration Office. As well, fees are based on the current academic year and are subject to change. No deferral of the non-refundable deposit or program fees is allowed. Text and materials related to courses may constitute an additional cost.
If you have already completed the Certificate in Adult Education from the years 2010 to 2021, you can take three electives and receive the Advanced Certificate in Adult Learning and Teaching.
- If you have completed the Certificate in Adult Education (2010 - 2021), please do not select "Evaluating Learning" as one of your electives.
- If you have completed the Certificate in Adult Education (2019 - 2020), please do not select "Design and Teaching Online" as one of your electives.
For assistance or more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have prior learning or experience relevant to this certificate?
It may be possible to receive advanced standing in this certificate based on your prior learning from work or life experience. We provide two types of recognition of prior learning:
- Prior Certified Learning: Assessment of prior coursework or training through a provider, that is neither a university or college, for the purpose of advanced standing. Examples of certified learning may include military courses, accredited certificates, workplace training programs, etc.
- Prior Experiential Learning: Assessment of previous work and life learning that may be equivalent to learning outcomes of university courses / programs, for the purpose of advanced standing. Relevant prior learning may come from work or volunteer experience, participation on committees or boards, independent study, etc.
To discuss how to use your prior learning to apply for advanced standing, please contact email@example.com.