The National Advanced Certificate in Local Authority Administration is offered fully online.
Who Should Take This Certificate?
This advanced certificate program requires the completion of a first level Local Government certificate (six courses of 36 hours each) or equivalent. The certificate places greater emphasis on leadership and decision making and is intended for local government employees who wish to develop or enhance leadership capabilities..
While courses are discrete, students will be encouraged to draw from many sources. Students will be expected to engage in a more rigorous experience which will include, among other things, the expectation for independent research and critical thinking.
After completing the prerequisite of a first level Local Government Certificate, this certificate program consists of six (6) courses over 216 hours. The three required courses (if not already obtained from another Local Government certificate) are:
- OLCD-LGOV0020 Sustainable Communities
- OLCD-LGOV0019 Policy Planning and Program Evaluation
- OLCD-LGOV0010 Citizen Engagement and Consultation: Purpose and Possibilities
Students may take three (3) elective courses from the following:
- OLCD-LGOV0011 Financial Management
- OLCD-LGOV0012 Human Resource Management
- OLCD-LGOV0013 Freedom of Information and Privacy Foundations
- OLCD-LGOV0016 Municipal Law II
- OLCD-LGOV0017 Organizational Behavior and Leadership
- OLCD-LGOV0018 Organizational Design and Management
- OLCD-LGOV0021 Local Government Accounting
- OLCD-LGOV0023 Property Taxation and Assessment
- OLCD-LGOV0024 Public Administration Professionalism
- OLCD-LGOV0025 Community Economic Development I: Opportunities and Challenges
- OLCD-LGOV0026 Community Economic Development: Complexity and Resilience
- OLCD-LGOV0027 Citizen Engagement and Consultation: Professional Practice
Courses can be completed in any order. The certificate can be completed in under two years, depending upon how many courses you take each term and year.
Fees and Schedule
See each course for the applicable tuition fee. Courses start in September, January and April. Each course is offered at least once a year. All courses are 12 weeks long and require a minimum of 36 hours of learning engagement.
Do you have prior learning or experience relevant to this certificate?
It may be possible to receive advanced standing in this certificate based on your prior learning from work or life experience. We provide two types of recognition of prior learning:
- Prior Certified Learning: Assessment of prior coursework or training through a provider, that is neither a university or college, for the purpose of advanced standing. Examples of certified learning may include military courses, accredited certificates, workplace training programs, etc.
- Prior Experiential Learning: Assessment of previous work and life learning that may be equivalent to learning outcomes of university courses / programs, for the purpose of advanced standing. Relevant prior learning may come from work or volunteer experience, participation on committees or boards, independent study, etc.
To discuss how to use your prior learning to apply for advanced standing, please contact email@example.com.