Many project managers have the fundamental skills to manage simple projects, but they find themselves working on large, complex projects in a dynamic environment. This means that PMs need to take their skills and knowledge to the next level so they can successfully lead projects and strategic change initiatives.
Project managers face a huge challenge when confronted with continually-changing requirements. An advanced understanding of the principles and techniques of agile project management will help PMs understand when agile techniques may add value and reduce risk on high change projects in any sector.
The role of the project sponsor is key. PMs need to understand the role project managers play in establishing effective sponsorship and they also must know how to build a collaborative relationship with the project sponsor.
One of the many challenges on complex projects is creating a viable schedule and monitoring and managing the schedule. PMs must create realistic schedules, resource load those schedules, and update and track project progress.
The role of the PM is complicated because PMs must be leaders of change and outstanding facilitators. The Advanced Certificate in Project Management helps provides the tools to enable a higher level of success.
Participants will gain practical skills and knowledge to be able to:
- Explore ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the entire governance and sponsorship process, including prioritization, decision making and alignment
- Develop the capacity to lead all types of change
- Engage in appropriate leadership styles in the project and across organizational boundaries and learn to lead from anywhere in the organization
- Improve facilitation skills and create and sustain a participatory environment with clear methods and processes
- Apply the principles and techniques of agile project management to reduce overall project risk on high change projects
- Understand and apply best practices in project scheduling
- Increase PM “lessons learned” by learning from the experiences of others
- Advanced Facilitation Techniques for PMs and BAs (2 days)
- Certified Agile Project Management (3 days)
- Project Leadership and Organizational Change (3 days)
- Project Governance and Sponsorship (7 hours online)
- Project Scheduling and Controls (3 days)
Who Should Attend
- Program Managers
- Project Managers
- Senior Project Coordinators
- Senior Managers
- Product Managers
- Business Analysts
- Subject matter experts
- Key project resources
The Advanced Certificate in Project Management is suitable for those who have previous PM training and experience. Previous training could include Dalhousie’s Certificate in Project Management or equivalent.
This program is also suitable for those who hold a designation from the Project Management Institute or who are somewhat prepared or largely prepared for the PMP, PgMP, PfMP, PMI-ACP, or PMI-SPI.
The courses can also be taken as standalone courses for those who have a need for training that aligns with one or more of the courses in the program.