Dalhousie Faculty, Staff and Students ONLY
(This course is now available to you at no charge.)
Login into Brightspace using your Dalhousie University credentials (NetID) FIRST
Click on the link below to self-enroll in the course.
For all other Registrants
If you would like to take advantage of this discounted price (until December 1, 2020) for this new course, please click on “Add to Cart” on the right-hand side.
If you have any questions, please contact Program Manager, Dawne Walker at Dawne.Walker@Dal.Ca.
Although we all have biases, they can be difficult to discuss because we do not want to be judged based on our beliefs. Unconscious biases are just that; they are unknown to us and hidden deep within us.
Issues can arise when we make decisions based on these ideas because biases are not facts. Rather, they are generalizations and pre-judgements about others and the world around us that can seem either positive or negative.
This 12-hour course can be taken at your own pace. It will have you looking inwards and digging deep into your beliefs, bringing them to the forefront so you can explore the ways in which your biases impact how you interact with others.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Identify at least 3 of your own unconscious biases
- Define different types of biases
- Deconstruct a personal bias to understand the root of this bias and the possible implications
- Develop rapport with someone who is “different” from you
- Reflect on how this knowledge will impact you personally and professionally moving forward