Each week has a 90-minute online live session with the instructor. Students who are absent for a live session will have access to a recording.
- Week 1: Getting Familiar with Codepen
- Week 2: Executing and Modifying Simple Programs and Practicing Test-Driven Development
- Week 3: Working with Object Properties, Methods and Arithmetic, and Logical Operators
- Week 4: Constructing Decision-Making Statements (Conditional Statements and Ternary Operators)
- Week 5: Looping Constructs (while, do while, for) and Arrays
- Week 6: Review and Integration of Coding Skills
What You Will Learn
- The foundational skills required for coding
- The fundamentals of Visual Studio, a widely used IDE software application
This course provides learners with the opportunity to earn a microcredential. A microcredential is evidence of a skill or competency that is employment related. Dalhousie microcredentials are developed in collaboration with employers, industries, and/or organizations that relate to the content. A microcredential can be displayed on social media pages, digital resumes, personal webpages, and in email signatures. To earn the microcredential in this course, learners will need to successfully complete a competency-based assessment.
To learn more about microcredentials and how they can enhance your portfolio, watch this 30-second YouTube video (video opens in a new window).
The Faculty of OLCD recommends an intermediate level of English language proficiency for the most effective learning and participation in our online and face-to-face courses. A list of the minimum recommended scores on some common English tests can be found on our website. If you have questions about your English language proficiency and ability to succeed in this course, please contact email@example.com.
- Those with an interest in learning coding skills, developing software programs and/or being part of software development projects
- Those with an interest in learning the more technical side of software development
- Basic computer literacy skills required (using the internet) - no prior coding experience required
- Patience and perseverance are participants’ most valuable assets