Are you an aspiring or established leader interested in gaining clarity on your leadership vision and style? The practice of Personal Leadership (PL) offers leaders the opportunity to assess how they respond to ambiguous situations, decision points and conflict.
At the core of the PL process is a step-by-step process for taking charge of your own reactions and becoming aware of your judgments, emotions and physical sensations resulting in greater clarity and resolve in determining your “right action” going forward - especially in times of transition and change.
This course meets for 4x2-hour modules over a period of 2 weeks followed by a 1-hour final check-in to gauge understanding and application of the framework two week later. It is geared towards managers and leaders - experienced and new - in all sectors including private and public.
- Personal Leadership Background & Context
- The Personal Leadership Process Model and Choice Point
- Crafting a Personal Vision Statement as a Highly Effective Leader
- The Two Principles of Personal Leadership
- The Six Practices of Personal Leadership
- Critical Incident: Applying the Practices
- Personal Leadership Self-Assessment
- Engaging the Critical Moment Dialogue (CMD), Round 1
- Homework Assignment: Engaging the CMD, Round 2 (with a partner between modules)
- Sharing your Personal Leadership Vision
- Living Your Vision: Application to Real-Life Situations
- Taking PL Home
What You Will Learn
Students can expect to learn about:
- The development and theoretical foundations of Personal Leadership
- The two principles and six practices of PL and their application in various work contexts
- The PL Vision Statement and its role in making intentional choices in moments of change, conflict or transition
- PL's central process technology, i.e., the Critical Moment Dialogue, and how to apply it to real-life work situations
Rita Wuebbeler, MA, PCC, is a Senior Facilitator with Personal Leadership Seminars. She has been facilitating Personal Leadership programs since 2005 in corporate, nonprofit and higher-education contexts, and was instrumental in introducing PL to Europe and Canada.
Rita has facilitated Personal Leadership programs for language consultants at the World Bank, pharmaceutical sales executives and scientists as well as local and federal government employees and military personnel. She has co-facilitated PL Foundations seminars in France and Germany and has co-presented on PL-related topics at conferences in France, Estonia, Germany and the US. She conducts Personal Leadership Foundations courses at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on a regular basis. In Atlanta, Rita teaches Personal Leadership to new homeowners funded by Habitat for Humanity, the Atlanta Public School system, Women in Technology and a variety of corporate clients. Rita incorporates the practice of Personal Leadership in all aspects of her facilitation and coaching work, especially in executive coaching where she helps leaders develop a vision of themselves at their highest and best. She also uses PL in her work with individuals relocating abroad, who must adjust to living and working in new cultural contexts.
A native German, Rita spent the first two and a half decades of her life in Europe before moving to Atlanta, which she now calls home. She holds a Master’s Degree in Applied Linguistics from Johannes-Gutenberg-University in Mainz, Germany. Rita recently spent almost four years living and working in Canada, getting to know a new culture from scratch and practicing Personal Leadership on a daily basis. She took up road-biking several years ago and participates in an annual 200-mile bike ride for charity to raise money for AIDS vaccine research at Emory University in Atlanta.
- Aspiring leaders or managers in any industry sector interested in gaining clarity on their leadership vision and style
- Newly appointed leaders or managers in any industry sector dealing with establishing themselves in their new roles
- Experienced leaders or managers in any industry sector who want to take a step back to optimize their leadership skill set
"Rita is excellent at engaging participants. She is very thought provoking and has keen and passionate insights about her subject."
"The 6 practices - I can see how I can apply them to my personal and professional life."
"Rita is excellent at linking the aspects of personal leadership with professional needs."
"I was able to identify my own strengths so I can use them to promote leadership in my profession."
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Agile Communications : Electives