This course is designed to assist organizations to maximize the use of current or reduced resources and to get the most benefits out of their current quality systems. It is about getting results–the practical side of Performance Excellence and making your management system really work for you.
This course is also designed to provide the quality professional with an overview of ISO 9001 best practices from a wide range of registered organizations. It is targeted at the needs of organizations with existing ISO 9001 quality management systems, and intended to help them take a fresh look at their system, discuss how to derive greater value from it, and “take it to the next level of performance excellence.” This course includes a wide range of examples across various sectors, and is equally applicable to organizations operating within a manufacturing or service environment.
The course will cover quality systems and real-life process improvement concepts. Participants will learn how organizations have dramatically improved efficiency and stakeholder satisfaction by applying the methodologies that are taught in this course.
This is an optional course for the Quality Management Certificate or can be attended as a stand-alone course.
Upon completion of this course, participants should have a better practical understanding of how to improve their system’s performance across many of ISO 9001’s requirement areas, including common QMS “weak areas of application and trouble spots.”
The techniques explained in this course will yield real, timely, and motivating results. The methods and tools will help the user to:
- Understand why your current management system is not performing as optimally as it should be by identifying the five main weaknesses and common roadblocks that inhibit performance and results
- Identify and eliminate waste and non value-added steps in existing work flows
- Find root causes of problems that contribute to process inefficiency and stakeholder dissatisfaction
- Create value through proper data collection analysis and “real-time” review and action planning
- Link process improvement efforts to stakeholder satisfaction, the implemented quality system and the organization’s strategic objectives
- Learn and apply key improvement tools to measure, strengthen and enhance performance
Who Should Attend
Business executives, quality managers, supervisors, ISO coordinators, production managers and/or leaders who have been tasked with developing and implementing process and/or quality improvement programs, improving staff morale and communication, managing budget constraints, improving departmental performance and productivity.
All Individuals who are actively involved with, or responsible for, implementing, maintaining and improving an ISO 9001 quality management system in their organization.
Day 1 - registration/check-in will start at 8:00 a.m. with sessions to begin at 8:30 a.m. and adjourn at 4:00 p.m. Days 2-3 will commence at 8:30 a.m. and adjourn at 4:00 p.m. There will be 15 minute mid-morning and afternoon breaks. A light lunch is included from 12 noon to 1:00 pm.
The Basics of Improving Quality Using Your Existing Quality System
The Current Situation
Identifying the five key weaknesses in a Quality Management System
Cornerstone Principles of Process Improvement
Problems verses Symptoms
Attacking the problems
Overview of Best Practices:
- Competency, Awareness & Training
- Corrective Action
- Preventive Action
- Internal Audits
- Management Review
- Quality Objectives and Measurements
Building a Better System
Applications of Quality Tools:
- The Cost of Quality
- Lean Practices
- Process Maps
- Pareto Charts
- Fishbone Diagrams
- Control Charts
- Other reporting tools & mechanisms
Managing the Better System
Putting it all together & making it work:
- Collecting the Data
- Analyzing the Data
- Reporting the Data & Presentation of information
- Action Planning
- Verification & follow-up
- Continual Improvement
- Next Steps to sustaining Excellence