The Occupational Health and Safety Management Certificate Program is currently under review. As of October 2019, we are not accepting new applicants until this process is completed.
It is our intention to have a new certificate program in place by Fall 2020.
The courses currently scheduled can be taken by those that have started their certificates and can be taken as stand-alone courses for anyone with an interest in these topics.
We sincerely regret any inconvenience this may cause.
This four-day course addresses the key components of and the tools required for preparing, implementing and managing an effective Occupational Health and Safety Program as required by the Occupational Health and Safety Act. The presentations address the theoretical components, legal requirements, as well as a strong emphasis on strategies for effective implementation of a safety program.
Participants gain the necessary background, understanding and innovative tools to prepare and implement an effective Occupational Health and Safety Program. An effective OH&S Program will help your organization reduce the incredible costs, in terms of people and dollars, of injuries and illness in the workplace.
Note: This is a required course in the Certificate in Occupational Health & Safety Management.
What You Will Learn
- Leadership skills for effective program implementation
- How to establish due diligence
- Effective methods to reduce the high cost of injuries
- Due Diligence & the Employer
- The role of the Workers’ Compensation Board in injury prevention
- Hazard Identification and Investigation Systems
- Integration of Health and Wellness Components Within a Safety Program
- How to be proactive when dealing with employees relations and safety
Day 1 - registration/check-in will start at 8:00 a.m. with sessions to begin at 8:30 a.m. and adjourn at 4:00 p.m. Days 2-4, will commence at 8:30 a.m. and adjourn at 4:00 p.m. There will be 15 minute mid-morning and afternoon coffee breaks. A light lunch is included from 12 noon to 1:00 p.m.
Day One8:00 Registration
- Why an Occupational Health & Safety Program
- Identifying the Problems - (General) (Your Organization)
- Training for Change What Changes Do We Want To See?
- What Barriers Do We Have To Overcome?
- Purpose; Insurance; Funding; Premiums
- The Real Costs of Accidents
- Responsibilities and Ownership
- Information and Services Available
Day Two8:30 OHS Division: Role and Responsibility
- Due Diligence
- Strict Liability Offences
- Accident Investigations
- Charges and Penalties
- (People Approach To Safety)
- (Practical Approach To Safety)
- (Pro-Active Approach To Safety)
- Going beyond the Hard Hats, Safety Boots, Rules & Regulations
- Senior Management Responsibility
- Supervisory Responsibility
- Employee Responsibility
Day Three8:30 Hazard Identification & Investigation Systems
11:00 Integration of Health and Wellness Components Within a Safety Program
- Initial and Periodic Risk-Based Health Assessments Disability Case Management
- Training and Supervision of Employees
- Written Safe Work Procedures
- Function of Field Safety Officers
- Maintaining Records and Statistics
- Monitoring for Effectiveness
Day Four8:30 Occupational Health & Safety Committee Training
- Why a JOH&S Committee
- Regulations Legal Responsibilities of the Committee
- Meetings / Records / Terms of Reference
- How to Keep your JOH&S Committee Motivated
- Who Should Do The Investigating?
- Forms & Investigating Procedures
Note - This workshop is designed to be very flexible to meet the needs of those attending.
John Cameron is a human resource practitioner with over 30 years’ experience in managing, recruiting, employee relations, and health and safety. Mr. Cameron worked for 23 years with Michelin Tire (Canada) Inc. where he held various human resources positions, including manager of safety and security. Prior to that he was with Scott Maritimes. He has been a partner with SSI Consulting Solutions for the past 10 years providing on-site live-facilitated training sessions focusing on people training and development and one-stop health and safety solutions.