Become a better, more confident learner
This is a 15-day, well-rounded online program designed to prepare you for successful return to your program of study. You will engage in a positive, challenging learning environment and enjoy encouragement from your peers and instructors.
Details at a glance
Format: Online learning with daily coaching and support; written assignments
Support: A team of caring instructors who are here for you every step of the way
Time commitment: 8 hours per day for 15 days
Fees: $895 (subject to change)
What will I learn?
With our help, you will learn and pratice skills and new ways of thinking that will set you on the right path.
In a very supportive environment, we will help you to:
- Learn coping, goal-setting and time management skills
- Identify your preferred method of learning
- Renew your sense of purpose and direction
Who should attend?
This course is for you if you are:
- Struggling with your studies, on academic probation, or academically dismissed
- A learner, young or old, who started university and now have the drive to return
- A student from any university with a desire to do better in university and in life in general
- You must have university-level competency in spoken and written English. For English Education at Dalhousie, please visit the ESL home page.
Before registering, speak with your program advisor to confirm that this course is the best option for you, and that a passing grade will grant you re-admission.
This 15-day online course provides learners with many opportunities to engage with other students in similar situations and with similar stories. You will see that you are not alone and belong in university as much as the next learner.
This course is intensive and requires your full attention. There will be strict deadlines, with exceptions, of course, for extenuating circumstances such as internet problems.
Students in this course are expected to engage, share ideas and voice opinions.
Along with a variety of learning opportunities, students will also be provided with a daily check-in with an instructor for regular encouragement, motivation and feedback, a personal writing coach, and private meetings with academic advisors and counsellors.
- Thoughts, feelings, behaviours
- Time management
- Learning styles, lectures and note-taking
- Coping strategies
- Goal setting
- Breaking bad habits
- Procrastination and alternative thinking strategies
- Assertive communication
- Reducing exam anxiety
- Exam preparation and survival tips
- Mindfulness and your future
"Refining inspired me to do my best. Now people know my name, I’ve made friends. I have time to go to the gym. It’s like a whole new life has been given to me. Failing and going to Refining is what allowed me to change my patterns and behaviors. The course helped me experience my best self again." ~ Jorge Plaza, Refining Student, Summer 2019.