What methods of payment can I use?

It may depend from program to program, but generally you can use the following: Visa credit cards, Visa-branded debit cards, MasterCard credit cards, MasterCard-branded debit cards, American Express credit cards, cash (in person only), and cheque (in person only).

How do I use Visa debit or MasterCard debit?

Simply choose credit card when asked to select a payment method at check-out. Your bank will do the rest.

Why am I being asked to check out when my course is free?

You won’t be charged or even asked to provide a payment type – this is just the final step in your enrolment.

What are the two different user accounts I might have as a lifelong learning student at Dalhousie University? And what’s the difference between them?

There are two types of accounts you might encounter:

An OPEN_X username is provided when you create a profile on our registration portal, Destiny One. It allows you to register for courses that don’t require additional permissions and to access those courses on OpenDal, our Learning Management System (LMS).

A NetID username is provided when your courses require additional services from the university, such as access to the library or on-campus wireless access. Once you receive a NetID username, it will replace your OPEN_X username.

What are the steps for me to activate these accounts and start my course?

Open an account in Destiny One:

  • Go to the Student Login page to create an OPEN_X account.
  • Use your OPEN_X account to register for the course you want to take.

Check the email account you used to create your OPEN_X account:

  • An activation email will be sent to the email address you marked as “preferred” when you set up the account.
  • The email will contain a link to your OPEN_X account page.

Activate your OPEN_X account:

  • Click the link in the activation email to be taken to the activation page.
  • Verify your identity and follow the prompts on the page.

If your course requires access to additional university resources, within four business days you will be sent your Dal NetID and instructions to set your password to the email address you used for your OPEN_X account.

I am not receiving emails from Destiny One. What should I do?

The first step is always to check your junk or spam email folders.

If you are still not receiving emails and cannot log in to your account, please contact our office at openlearning@dal.ca with your first and last name, as well as one of the following:

  • Street Address
  • Phone Number
  • Day/Month of Birth

We ask for this information to confirm your identity. Please also include in the message what you believe the email address connected to your account is and what you wish to change it to. The most common reasons for email issues are either a typo within the system, email spam filters, or workplace firewalls. It is recommended to use a Gmail account to avoid these types of errors. For more information on this issue, please contact openlearning@dal.ca.

Who do I contact if I can't activate my OPEN_X account?

Please contact the Faculty of Open Learning and Career Development at openlearning@dal.ca or 1-800-565-8867. The office is open Monday – Friday 9:00AM – 4:00PM Atlantic Time. If no one is available to answer your call, please leave a message with your name and contact information.

How long will my OPEN_X account stay active?

Your OPEN_X account will never expire; however, it may be replaced by a NetID at some point in the future.

How long will my NetID be active?

When you are assigned a NetID, it will adhere to the same rules as credit students: access to the LMS system and other Dalhousie services will be provided 30 days before the course starts and end 90 days after the course ends. Please note that the instructor may not give access to the course until just before the course starts. As a lifelong learning student, you will always be able to log into your student account in Destiny One using your NetID.

I have forgotten my OPEN_X username. What do I do?

Click on the Forgot Username link on the Student Login page. Enter the email associated with your account and click Continue. If there is an account associated with the email address you entered, you will receive an email with instructions on how to access your username. If you do not receive a username email, be sure to check your spam or junk folder.

I have forgotten my OPEN_X password. What do I do?

Click the text that says Forgot Password on the Student Login page. You will be redirected to a page that will ask you for your username.

If you do not know your username, your username can be sent to you by email or please call 1-800-565-8867 or email openlearning@dal.ca. You will receive an email with a temporary link to reset your password. The link to reset your password is valid for 24 hours. If the link expires, you can request another email be sent using the steps above.

Go back to the Student Login page and now log in with your username and the new password

Who do I contact if I can't activate my Dal NetID?

If you're having difficulty activating your NetID, please contact Dalhousie's IT Support desk at support@dal.ca.

What is Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and how can it benefit me?

RPL assesses learning that you have gained through work and life experience or from non-recognized institutions.

Transfer credit involves the assessment of formal learning from other recognized post-secondary institutions (colleges, universities, etc.).

Learners should contact the RPL Office at the Faculty of Open Learning and Career Development to discuss their eligibility to apply for RPL, and information and guidance on the RPL process. You can contact the RPL coordinator to make an appointment by email at rpl@dal.ca.

Note: Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is only offered through the Faculty of Open Learning & Career Development.

What are microcredentials and how can they benefit me?

Microcredentials can be a powerful tool to help you get noticed and land that job in your desired field.

They are evidence of a skill or competency that has been demonstrated by you, our learner. They are represented by a digital badge that can be added to your social media sites, such as LinkedIn, the footer of your emails, or your digital resume. Potential employers can click on those digital badges and see a record of what you had to do to earn that microcredential.

Does my course qualify for a T2202?

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires all designated educational institutions in Canada to issue a T2202, Tuition and Enrollment Certificate, for qualifying students enrolled in a specified educational program.

What is a qualified student? Someone who is:

  • Enrolled in a specified educational program**
  • 16 years of age or older
  • Has spent 12 hours per month on courses in a program

**Course eligibility (in a specified educational program):

  • Course(s) are at least three consecutive weeks in length
  • Course hours in a program total at least 12 hours per month
  • Tuition fees paid equal or exceed $100
  • Student personally paid the tuition fees. (If your employer or company paid on your behalf or you were reimbursed, you are not eligible to submit your T2202)

Courses that are considered preparation to post-secondary education are not eligible for reimbursement, including courses taken through English Language Studies and University Preparation.

Where do I access my tax receipt?

Log-in to your Student Portal using the Student Login link in the top right-hand corner of this page.

For step-by-step instructions, please click here to see a helpful video from our YouTube channel.

When can I access my tax receipt?

Auto-generated tax receipts will be available through the student portal as of late February.

I don't see the tax receipt in the Student Portal. What is the issue?

Once you have logged in to the Student Portal, update your Social Insurance Number by going to My Profile and scrolling down to Personal Information. You are required to either add your Social Insurance Number or decline to provide it; if you decline, you will not receive a T2202.

Your tax receipt will be available through this site after you enter your SIN, just go back to student home and select “Tax Receipt”. If you do not see a tax receipt in this section of the site by mid-March, your course(s) were not eligible.

What is the recommended level of English language proficiency for participation in the Faculty of Open Learning & Career Development courses?

The Faculty recommends an intermediate level of English language proficiency for most effective learning and participation in our online and face-to-face courses. Here is a list of minimum recommended scores on some common English tests:

  • Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB): 5
  • The Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP): 5
  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) General or Academic: 5.0 overall
  • Cambridge B1 Preliminary: 140-159
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (ToEFL): 35
  • Duolingo English Test: 75

If you have questions about your English language proficiency and ability to succeed in the course you want to register for, please contact openlearning@dal.ca

What is MFA and why do I need it?

Multi-factor authentication is being rolled out across Dalhousie to keep your personal information safe. For more information, please see this page.

Who do I contact about my courses?

It depends from program to program, but these are the key contact emails for each department:

Required fields are indicated by .