The Certificate in Adult Education consists of eight (8) fully online courses that are designed to help learners gain a comprehensive introduction to the field of adult education and a widely recognized professional credential. This newly redeveloped certificate meets the requirements set out by the Nova Scotia Government – enabling learners to teach in community and business college settings.
All courses can be taken individually and in any order. Each course results in a microcredential. Successful completion of all eight (8) courses is required in order to be awarded the Certificate.
Each course in the certificate is three (3) weeks in length and consists of 12 learning hours, including 4.5 hours of live sessions. Learners can expect to spend approximately four (4) hours per week on their studies.
Click on each course name for more details and specific learning outcomes:
- Theories of Adult Learning
- Understanding Diversity and Inclusion
- Program Design
- Instructional Methods
- Effective Facilitation
- Evaluating Learning
- Designing and Teaching Online
- Indigenous Teaching and Learning Perspectives
Language Requirement: University-level English language proficiency required in writing, speaking and reading comprehension. It is recommended that students have an IELTS Academic score of 6.5 overall or a TOEFL-IBT score of 90 overall for this program. Please see the following guidelines from Dalhousie University for more information: English Language Requirements For Undergraduate Admissions - Admissions - Dalhousie University
The program is delivered through the flexibility and convenience of Dalhousie's enriched and engaging online learning platform (Brightspace). Courses include weekly group activities, live streaming lectures and project work. Course delivery is designed to provide maximum benefit and flexibility through online study. All course materials are made available through the Brightspace learning platform and are included in the course fees.
All eight (8) courses must be successfully completed in order to receive the Certificate in Adult Education. Learners have 5 years to complete this certificate.
Who Should Take This Certificate?
You should enrol in this certificate program if you are interested in:
- Working in the field of adult education (training, facilitation, coaching, mentoring, etc.)
- Designing learning programs for adults
- Fostering inclusion in diverse learning experiences for adults.
Program Tuition fee is $5,200.00, or $650 per course. For assistance or more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: These courses fill up quickly, and registration in one course does not guarantee your spot in another. You must register for each course individually to reserve your spot.
Do you have prior learning or experience relevant to this certificate?
It may be possible to receive advanced standing in this certificate based on your prior learning from work or life experience. We provide two types of recognition of prior learning:
- Prior Certified Learning: Assessment of prior coursework or training through a provider, that is neither a university or college, for the purpose of advanced standing. Examples of certified learning may include military courses, accredited certificates, workplace training programs, etc.
- Prior Experiential Learning: Assessment of previous work and life learning that may be equivalent to learning outcomes of university courses / programs, for the purpose of advanced standing. Relevant prior learning may come from work or volunteer experience, participation on committees or boards, independent study, etc.
To discuss how to use your prior learning to apply for advanced standing, please contact email@example.com.
Take your learning to the next level with a professional designation
Interested in earning a professional designation in project management, business analysis or human resource management? Learn more by checking out our Diploma in Professional and Leadership Studies.