Home inspectors help consumers protect their real estate investment!
The Certificate in Home Inspection program is delivered 100% online.There is no classroom time. Our program gives clear direction concerning what to look for in an inspection, how to report visual defects, and how best to communicate with clients and stakeholders.
The program meets the Occupational Standards developed by the Canadian Home Inspectors and Building Officials Steering Committee for National Standards and prepares you for the National Home Inspectors examination administered by The Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors.
A technical background is not required to enroll in this program. Once you have completed an application for consideration, the Program Director will contact you and discuss your participation and acceptance to the program. If accepted, a learning plan and timetable will be created to ensure expectations are met. The sequencing and course selection generally depends on your goals for program completion and the amount of time that can be devoted to the program.
Learn more about the Application Process
There are ten (10) courses in the full Certificate program. Those who do not wish to complete a full certificate are welcome to register for individual courses.
Who Should Attend
- Already established home inspectors with a need to stay current in their chosen industry
- Those wanting to enter an exciting and growing profession
- Property risk managers who want to be more informed to perform their role
- Home renovators wanting to hone their skills and expand their competencies
At the end of the program, you will be able to:
- Recognize defects and conditions through a visual inspection and implications for system performance.
- Identify safety concerns for the occupant, the inspector and the buyer.
- Ensure the appropriate use of terminology is used while conducting an inspection.
- Be able to describe the type of home and the materials used in a home.
- Perform home inspections that are consistent with the standards of the home inspection profession.
The requirements for the certificate include the submission of individual assignments, field exercises and the successful writing of exams in each of the ten courses.The passing grade in each course is 70%.
Tuition and Learning Materials
Tuition for each course is $375.
Students are responsible for purchasing their own learning materials from Carson Dunlop. Visit the online store here.
Dalhousie University College of Continuing Education students receive a discount on the purchase of learning materials by way of a coupon code. The cost for each course text will be $271 plus 5% tax. This price includes shipping costs.