A 20-hour asynchronous online course designed to remind students of the fundamentals of academic writing.
The course is an independent self-study and self-paced course. An instructor will be available via the Discussion Board, chat and email functions to provide advice and guidance.
This course begins with identification and use of accurate, academic sentence structures before before moving through familiarizing students with a variety of writing structures and styles common in the university context. Such topics include:
- Using academic transition words and phrases
- Structuring a paragraph
- Writing a summary and response
- Creating basic in-text citations
- Identifying and organizing the parts of an essay
- Composing thesis statements
- Recognizing a variety of essay types
- Organizing a report