In this course you will learn what makes marketing a critical activity in business growth, exploring the broad principles and practices of marketing from a practical perspective. Topics will cover basic marketing concepts, product and service development, strategic marketing planning, and how to keep pace in today's competitive market.
Unit 1: What is Marketing?
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the marketing concept and how it applies in a real-world setting.
- Know how real marketing creates value for the consumer, the company & society.
Unit 2: Market Segmentation & Targeting
- Demonstrate your understanding of common approaches to market segmentation & targeting.
Unit 3: Product Development & Management
- Understand what a product/service is and why it is the core of the marketing mix.
- Demonstrate your understanding of the process of developing a new product.
- Demonstrate your understanding of Product Life Cycle as a basis for product management.
Unit 4: Marketing Strategy
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the inputs and components of a marketing strategy.
- Understand how to align marketing strategy with corporate & marketing objectives.
- Identify the difference between marketing strategy & tactics and how they can be used to achieve marketing objectives.
Unit 5: Positioning & Differentiation
- Understand the importance of positioning & differentiation and how they can be utilized as competitive strategic tools.
Unit 6: Pricing Strategies
- Understand how price affects value of products & services.
- Utilize different pricing strategies.
Unit 7: Place – Distribution Channels
- Explore distribution channels.
- Identify distribution objectives and how channel members can help in achieving them.
- Know why retailing as a key distribution channel.
Unit 8: Promotion & IMC
- Understand Integrated Marketing Communication (IMC) and why it matters.
- Know common marketing communication methods and when to apply them.
- Clearly define your communication message
Unit 9: Digital & Social Media Marketing
- Understand digital media in the context of digital marketing.
- Analyse the relevance of social media and how it can be integrated into your marketing campaign.
Unit 10: Marketing Plan
- Develop a workable marketing plan that incorporates objectives, strategies, tactics & control measures.
What You Will Learn
- How to use marketing concepts to meet and sustain customers needs and interest
- The difference between marketing strategies and marketing tactics
- The key tactical elements of marketing
- How to develop, price, promote and distribute your own product or service
- The different components that make up a good marketing plan and how to develop an objective-based marketing plan
- Why social media must be incorporated in your marketing campaign activities
This course provides learners with the opportunity to earn a microcredential. A microcredential is evidence of a skill or competency that is employment related. Dalhousie microcredentials are developed in collaboration with employers, industries, and/or organizations that relate to the content. A microcredential can be displayed on social media pages, digital resumes, personal webpages, and in email signatures. To earn the microcredential in this course, learners will need to successfully complete a competency-based assessment.
To learn more about microcredentials and how they can enhance your learning portfolio, watch this 30-second YouTube video (video opens in a new window).
This course has scheduled written assignments and scheduled discussions within the term time frame. Course syllabus will be available on the course site.
The Faculty of OLCD recommends an intermediate level of English language proficiency for the most effective learning and participation in our online and face-to-face courses. A list of minimum recommended scores on some common English tests can be found on our website. If you have questions about your English language proficiency and ability to succeed in this course, please contact email@example.com.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates ·
- Certificate in Business Management : Elective Course
- Certificate in Human Resource Management : Required Course
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Business Management : Required
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Professional and Leadership Studies : Elective Program - Business Management