Through this fully asynchronous course, you will learn about the exciting world of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and the sustainable frameworks used by the world’s largest tech, telecommunications, manufacturing, retail and mining companies. Build knowledge on how to improve an organization’s environmental footprint, employee engagement, transparency, waste management, human rights performance, community investment and responsible supply chain management.
Module 1: CSR Foundations
- Understand what corporate social responsibility (CSR) represents and why ‘profit with purpose’ is increasingly necessary.
- Explore the social, environmental and economic drivers behind the recent surge in corporate citizenship.
- Review global trends and case studies on the most innovative applications of environmental, social and governance (ESG) initiatives.
- Learn the terminology, key performance indicators and definitions used in the field.
Module 2: Foundations in Responsible Investing
- Learn the differences between major international stock markets tracking corporate sustainability.
- Discover why sustainability reporting is a critical consideration for any future-facing company.
- Explore CSR metrics and rating methodology used by Dow Jones and Morgan Stanley.
- Learn how to benchmark corporate performance and get companies included in the portfolio of a high-performing sustainability index.
Module 3: Responsible Strategy Setting
- Learn how to set an organization’s goals; including mission statement, vision statement and priorities.
- Decide where to focus sustainability efforts based on an assessment of core competencies and customer considerations.
- Decide the winning strategy for an organization and what will give the business a competitive advantage.
- Learn how to measure progress towards goals and how to report accurately to stakeholders and shareholders.
What You Will Learn
Participants will gain practical knowledge and skills to be able to:
- Explain corporate social responsibility and recognize why it is important today
- Compare the metrics of different CSR initiatives
- Create a CSR initiative for your organization
- Understand the importance of ESG
- Leave with the tools necessary to develop inspiring initiatives and the knowledge to successfully promote them within their organization.
This course provides learners with the opportunity to earn a microcredential. A microcredential is evidence of a skill or competency that is employment related. Dalhousie microcredentials are developed in collaboration with employers, industries, and/or organizations that relate to the content. A microcredential can be displayed on social media pages, digital resumes, personal webpages, and in email signatures. To earn the microcredential in this course, learners will need to successfully complete a competency-based assessment.
To learn more about microcredentials and how they can enhance your learning portfolio, watch this 30-second YouTube video (video opens in a new window).
Completion of the course with a passing grade of 70% will also make you eligible to write the Corporate Social Responsibility Professional (CSRP™) credential exam available through the Foundation Technologies Institute. The cost of this exam is included in the course fee.
- Anyone interested in learning more about corporate social responsibility
- Those tasked with developing a corporate social responsibility policy for their organization
- Small business owners, consultants, or entrepreneurs