This course is a practical introduction to financial and accounting concepts that will equip you to make decisions based on financial information as a leader of organization. The course will teach you to interpret and apply financial information for short, medium and long-term decisions. The course is practical, using case studies to explore the financial information of different types of real organizations. Assessments throughout the course allow you the opportunity to apply what you learn to decisions you face in your organization.
Topics and concepts you will study in the course include the following:
- Using Financial Information for Decision-Making
- Introduction to Financial Statements
- What Financial Statements Tell You About an Organization
- Introduction to Budgeting
- Building a Useful and User-Friendly Budget
- Using a Budget for Daily Decision-Making
- Ratios for Financial Decision-Making
- Developing Analytical Tools for Financial Decision-Making
What You Will Learn
- You will learn to NOT be afraid of financial information and financial processes.
- You will learn to understand the story that financial information tells about an organization.
- You will learn how to use key financial information to guide your decision-making as an organizational leader.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course is recommended for:
- Aspiring, new and current leaders or managers who need to understand and use financial information to make decisions in their organizations.
- Current leaders or managers who are not comfortable discussing and interpreting their organization’s financial information.
- Current leaders or managers who would like a refresher on how to use their organization’s financial information for decision-making.
The course requires a minimum commitment of three hours a week over twelve weeks.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Associate Certificate in Local Government : Required (II)
- Certificate in Local Government Administration : Required (II)
- Certificate in Local Government Administration: Law and Ethics : Required (II)
- Certificate in Local Government Financial Administration : Required (II)
- Certificate in Local Government Human Resource Administration : Required (II)
- Certificate in Local Government: Citizen Engagement and Consultation : Required (II)
- Certificate in Local Government: Community Economic Development : Required (II)
- Certificate in Police Leadership : Elective