Over the last decade, Canadians have enjoyed more and more cultural and linguistic diversity in our communities. When it comes to most jobs, the use of different languages, dialects, and different levels of understanding of English and other languages can all pose new challenges for the ways we interact with others and work together in teams of people from diverse backgrounds.
In this interactive workshop, you will learn techniques, strategies and tools you can use right away to support linguistic diversity in your day-to-day work, and identify ways you can more effectively engage with people of all linguistic backgrounds.
What You Will Learn
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Identify different types of linguistic diversity that may be present in your teaching and learning context
- Explain the importance of supporting linguistic diversity.
- Apply strategies to support linguistic diversity in both spoken and written communication in your teaching and learning context
- Discuss ways to leverage linguistic diversity with adult learners
- Support linguistic diversity in online and face-to-face learning environments using common technologies
This workshop is ideal for anyone who interacts with or teaches people from a range of linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
"This session was among the best we’ve experienced as a team. It offered a meaningful and practical introduction to important service considerations in our linguistically and culturally diverse workplace. Not only were the facilitators knowledgeable and engaging, they gave our staff members tangible tips and tools to improve our interactions with students and colleagues. I would highly recommend this valuable session for any workplace or service centre that engages with multilingual and diverse stakeholders."
Adam Robertson, Assistant Vice Provost (Student Affairs) and University Registrar