Adult learning environments in Canada have become increasingly culturally and linguistically diverse over the last decade. Linguistic diversity in the classroom-- whether that means different languages, dialects, and/or levels of comprehension across the same language-- can pose new challenges to the way we serve learners and also open new educational horizons and possibilities. In this interactive workshop, you will learn a range of techniques, strategies and tools to support linguistic diversity in your teaching, training or facilitation context, and more effectively achieve learning outcomes for learners of all linguistic backgrounds.
What You Will Learn
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Identify different types of linguistic diversity that may be present in your teaching and learning context
- Explain the importance of supporting linguistic diversity.
- Apply strategies to support linguistic diversity in both spoken and written communication in your teaching and learning context
- Discuss ways to leverage linguistic diversity with adult learners
- Support linguistic diversity in online and face-to-face learning environments using common technologies
This workshop is ideal for anyone who works with adults and is looking for key skills to help support and leverage a wide range of linguistic capabilities in the classroom/workplace, including: