Whether you are a home gardener looking to advance your skills or new to the gardening experience, this course has something for everyone. Activities throughout this course are geared towards anyone who wishes to produce vegetables organically for fresh consumption. Each module will take approximately 5 - 7 hours to complete. The whole course will take up to 50 hours.
- Module 1: Garden Planning and Design
- Module 2: Soil Health
- Module 3: Plant Nutrition and Organic Techniques
- Module 4: Garden Preparation
- Module 5: Pest Control in the Garden
- Module 6: Vegetable Maintenance, Harvest and Storage
- Module 7: Composting
What You Will Learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify your gardening goals and the process for planting and maintaining a home vegetable garden;
- Assess the physical properties, nutrient status, and health of your garden;
- Identify plant deficiencies and organic fertilizer amendments to add to your garden for healthy plant growth;
- Establish a small vegetable garden using seeds and transplants;
- Control common insects and diseases in the vegetable;
- Maintain, harvest, and store produce from a small vegetable garden;
- Make compost to help maintain a healthy soil and plant environment.
This course is an online, independent self-study course. There is no instructor for this course. It is designed for learners to gain knowledge in growing an organic vegetable garden at home. Activities are provided in each module for the learner to work through on their own. Answer keys are provided. Learners can register anytime between November 1st, 2023 and March 31st, 2024. Learners will have until June 28th, 2024 to complete the course. Learners have the option to purchase a hard copy of the entire course at any point. If you have any questions about this course, please contact email@example.com.
- Those who are home gardeners, backyard gardeners, hobby gardeners.
- Those who are interested in increasing their knowledge in organic vegetable gardening.
This course is not developed to meet the needs of a grower who wishes to transition to certified organic agriculture production.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Organic Vegetable Gardener Certificate : Required