Participants will learn business analysis tools and techniques that help enable and support the role of the Business Analyst (BA) in producing value for the organization. This session builds on the areas covered in Business Analysis Essentials, with a focus on communications and facilitation techniques that are critical to project success at all levels.
This course improves critical thinking and problem-solving and provides decision-makers with a clear and informed set of alternatives to maximize the value of the organization. These skills support pre-project activities such as business case development and analysis, as well as anything related to organizational change, strategic planning, and enterprise analysis.
The course explores the Voice of the Customer (VOC), which includes looking at the needs of the customer and which ideas, initiatives, problems, and opportunities to address. This step precedes project selection and the requirements process, as well as how to provide the most value for effort, and it helps decision-makers make early informed decisions.
A key part of this course is the documentation and analytical tools that help model requirements, and clearly illustrate ideas and requirements in a variety of ways to accommodate stakeholder needs.
Concepts and ideas are presented in a dynamic way and supported by real-life examples, exercises, discussions, and activities to enable a meaningful application of the learning.
- Day 1: Facilitation and presentation skills
- Day 2: Decision-making, critical thinking, and problems solving
- Day 3: Strategy, enterprise analysis, and business case analysis
- Day 4: Modeling tools: SIPOC, Process flow, activity diagrams, state diagrams, context diagrams, use case analysis, ERDs / Voice of the Customer
What You Will Learn
- Design and develop models to support effective communication and documentation
- Explore the role of the BA as a champion of communications and as a facilitator
- Apply and practice facilitation techniques
- Organize and prioritize requirements
- Review and identify essential elements in quality decision making
- Apply analytical thinking to situations and learn how to utilize these skills in real life situations
- Identify concepts and techniques to learn about the actual needs of the customer and translate those needs to actionable recommendations
By enrolling in this course, you will be automatically enrolled in the Certificate in Business Analysis.
PrerequisitesYou must have completed Business Analysis Essentials, or equivalent experience.
- People who want to pursue a career in business analysis
- Technical team members and project managers
- Business analysts who want to enhance their business analysis skills
"Upbeat. Real world examples were used. Great instructor! Terry was able to break things down so I could clearly understand. "
Business Systems Analyst - NSPI
"Instructor was dynamic and engaging. Materials were clear, well presented. Individual and group exercises contributed to understanding of materials."
ESRI Canada, St. John's, NL
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Business Analysis : Required
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Professional and Leadership Studies : Elective Program - Business Analysis