Program Evaluation and Statistics introduces students to program evaluation as an important piece of public program delivery and management. It introduces the concepts of program evaluation, including different methods of collecting information and program evaluation, and the pros and cons of each method. You will also be introduced to statistical analysis as it applies to program evaluation.
The course ends with an assignment that gives the student some practical experience in administering a survey.
Week 1: Student Introductions
Week 2: Introduction to Program Evaluation
Week 3: Introduction to Statistics and Assignment 1
Week 4: Introduction to Statistical Analysis
Week 5: Discussion 1
Week 6: Assignment 2
Week 7: Continuation of Statistical Analysis
Week 8: Discussion 2 and Assignment 3
Week 9: Introduction to Measurement
Week 10: Assignment 4
Week 11: Assignment 4
Week 12: Assignment 4
What You Will Learn
Students who successfully complete this course will understand the general concepts of program evaluation and statistical analysis. This will enable the student to better initiate and/or assist a consultant with a program evaluation project. The student will be better able to identify important factors in public program service delivery, and possibly identify ways to measure them. Perhaps most importantly, the student will gain some practical experience in administering a survey, one of the most common methods of data collection.
Enrolment in this course automatically enrols you into the Certificate in Fire Service Administration. There is no obligation to complete the certificate requirements.
For more Fire Service Management courses click here.
The Faculty of OLCD recommends an intermediate level of English language proficiency for the most effective learning and participation in our online and face-to-face courses. A list of minimum recommended scores on some common English tests can be found on our website. If you have questions about your English language proficiency and ability to succeed in this course, please contact email@example.com.
This course is one of six required courses in the Certificate in Fire Service Administration program. The Certificate in Fire Service Leadership program is a prerequisite to the CFSA program.
Prerequisite: Completion of the "Certificate in Fire Service Leadership"
This course is recommended for any student who is:
- passionate about public service program delivery.
- interested in identifying methods of evaluating and improving public service programs.
- seeking to better understand the use of statistics in program evaluation.
- looking to gain practical experience in the administration of a survey to better understand the pros and cons of a popular method of program evaluation.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Fire Officer IV Accreditation Track : Required (4)
- Certificate in Fire Service Administration : Required (6)
- Certificate in Fire Service Administration: Advanced Leadership : Required (6)
- Certificate in Fire Service Administration: Emergency Management : Required (6)
- Certificate in Fire Service Administration: Human Resource Management : Required (6)
- Certificate in Fire Service Administration: Operational Planning : Required (7)
- Certificate in Fire Service Administration: Strategic Planning : Required (9 courses)