This course covers flues and chimneys, vent systems, fireplaces, and other wood heating appliances, and steam and electric heating systems.
Each week has required readings from the textbook. There are a total of five assignments and two examinations in this course.
Weeks 1 - 3: Chimneys
Weeks 4 - 6: Wood Heating
Week 7: Mid-term Examination
Week 8: Steam Heating
Week 9: Electric Heating
Weeks 10-11: Wall and Floor Furnaces
Week 12: Final Examination
What You Will Learn
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- inspect the following to identify type, material, condition, safety concerns and other issues: steam heating systems, electric heating systems, gas space. heaters, fireplaces and/or solid fuel burning appliances, warm air/hot water/steam/radiant heat distributions systems, steam distribution systems, chimneys, and venting systems.
- identify the common problems that apply to each heating system component named, as well as the causes and implications of each problem.
- describe the inspection procedures involved with each component.
- define and use proper terminology related to heating systems.
By enrolling in this course, you will be automatically enrolled in the Certificate in Home Inspection.
- Established home inspectors with a need to stay current in their chosen industry.
- Those wanting to enter an exciting and growing profession.
- Those wanting a better understanding of how important components of heating systems within a residential structure work.
- Property risk managers who want to be more informed to perform their role.
- Home renovators wanting to hone their skills and expand their competencies.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Home Inspection : Required courses