This course will enable you to gain control over grammar and punctuation so you can be confident that you’re expressing yourself correctly and clearly. Each week during the course, you’ll complete a variety of interactive online learning activities and writing exercises. You’ll also join in conversations with other participants via discussion forums. Twice during the course, you’ll connect with other participants and the course coach during a live virtual coaching session.
- Week 1: basics of sentence structure, systems of language, and components of sentences.
- Week 2: focus on punctuation as a system of structuring sentences to make meaning. You’ll learn how to combine ideas in logical, meaningful ways, using punctuation.
- Week 3: explore common writing mistakes and how to avoid them. You’ll learn how to ensure writing is clear and leaves the right impression on the audience.
- Week 4: strategies for editing your writing.
What You Will Learn
- Describe the structural elements of a sentence and how they work together to create meaning
- Recognize and correct common “glitches” in sentences (issues involving grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and usage)
- Develop a process for effectively editing your own writing
By enrolling in this course, you will be automatically enrolled in the Certificate in Agile Communications.
- Technology professionals who want to strengthen the way they explain their ideas in writing
- Professionals who express their ideas well but need to improve the technical correctness of their writing
- Writers of professional or technical documents who want their writing to be clear, to the point, and easy to read
" ... great toolkit provided for future reference, examples and lessons very useful to put in practice what we learned, Becca [is] very personable and easy to understand and keeps the course flowing.”
"I liked that the course content was online and accessible at my discretion. It allowed me to do the course work at work when it fit into my schedule."
Fisheries and Oceans
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Technical Writing : Elective courses (3)