This course will enable you to communicate more clearly and easily with supervisors, clients, and colleagues. You’ll discover communication strengths you didn’t know you had and learn how to build on them to become a more capable, confident writer.
- Week 1: In week one, you’ll explore three different methods of getting to know your readers. Knowing your readers helps you tailor a message to their needs, interests, and values.
- Week 2: Week two will focus on communicating with non-experts. You’ll learn to communicate clearly with readers who don’t share your technical expertise.
- Week 3: In week three, you’ll learn how to organize your thoughts in a logical structure. You’ll learn to treat an organization as an ongoing process rather than a one-time event.
- Week 4: Week four focuses on technical descriptions. In week four you’ll organize technical detail into a structure that is easy to navigate.
What You Will Learn
- Analyze your audience using three different methods
- Bridge the knowledge gap between you and non-expert readers
- Create a straightforward document structure for a brief document
- Describe technology so that readers can visualize it
NotesBy enrolling in this course, you will be automatically enrolled in the Certificate in Technical Writing.
- business analysts
- software engineers
- network administrators
- project managers
- anyone who uses writing to share technical information.
"Great course, great structure, very helpful for anyone wishing to improve their technical writing skills.”
Sepracor Canada Limited
"I liked the fact that I could immediately apply what I learned in class to my writing assignments. I also liked the fact that the course was delivered 100% online. I travel a lot and was able to sit in on the class from four different locations in North America."