This course is for non-finance or accounting executives involved in a small/medium-sized enterprise (SME) that is subject to ASPE Standards (Accounting for Private Enterprises). It will provide participants with an understanding of the language of accounting and the information presented in the financial statements, and how to critically interpret from a high level what is being presented. An introduction of the budgeting process, financial ratios and key performance indicators (KPIs) will also be discussed.
- Discuss the differences between Public Sector Accounting (PSA) and small/medium-sized enterprise accounting (SME).
- Consider from a high level what the accounting process is, how it can be used to help manage various aspects of an entity and why it is key to the language of business
- Learn about various financial presentation structures and formats, including how to do a high level analysis
- Gain an understanding of the budget process, the importance of a properly structured budget process and the need for ongoing monitoring of the budget
- Identify various types of ratios, obtain a basic understanding of selecting KPI's and learn what information is needed to manage a business
What You Will Learn
- This course is not designed to create “accountants”, but to give the non-accountants the tools to understand the information presented, how to critically analyze the information as it relates to the entity/department/unit and make/take informed action.
For assistance or more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Faculty of OLCD recommends an intermediate level of English language proficiency for the most effective learning and participation in our online and face-to-face courses. A list of minimum recommended scores on some common English tests can be found on our website. If you have questions about your English language proficiency and ability to succeed in this course, please contact email@example.com.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
This course is recommended for:
- Suppliers or customers of small/medium-sized enterprise accounting (SME)
- Non-Accounting/Finance Directors/Advisers of small/medium-sized enterprise accounting (SME)
- Non-Accounting/Finance Managers
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Business Management : Required
- Certificate in Finance and Risk Management : Required
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Professional and Leadership Studies : Elective Program - Business Management