University Prep Biology is designed for students who have never taken biology, or who want to improve their knowledge before taking a university Biology course. Designed by Faculty in the Dalhousie Biology Department, Biology 0010.00 is accepted Dalhousie University (including Nursing) in place of NS Grade 12 Biology.
Course Topics include:
- What is life and the Scientific method
- Cells and the Chemistry of Life
- Photosynthesis and Cellular Respiration
- Cancer, mitosis and meiosis
- Mendelian genetics, Inheritance of traits
- DNA replication and Forensics
- Genes, Proteins and Genetic Engineering
- Reproduction and Development
- The Nervous system, Mental illness, Drugs
- Evidence for Evolution, Natural Selection, Human health
- Life's Origins, Biodiversity and Human Origins
What You Will Learn
You will gain a solid foundation in the subject by learning the major concepts of cell biology, genetics and evolution and how they relate to our society.
You should be prepared to spend a minimum of 3 hours for every hour of class time in order to learn the material and to complete exercises.
* University Prep courses are non-credit preparatory courses. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that each course he/she enrolls in is accepted at other post-secondary institutions, beyond Dalhousie University.
For more University Prep courses, click here.
The Faculty of OLCD recommends an intermediate level of English language proficiency for the most effective learning and participation in our online and face-to-face courses. A list of minimum recommended scores on some common English tests can be found on our website. If you have questions about your English language proficiency and ability to succeed in this course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
No prerequisites required for this course.
University Prep Biology is designed for students who have never biology or who want to improve their knowledge before taking a University biology course.
"The instructor (Steve Angelidis) made each class enjoyable. I took Biology 10+ years ago in high school and did not understand it at all until taking this course at Dal. It was fast paced but overall a great experience!"
~ Madison Stewart