University Prep Chemistry is designed for students who have never taken chemistry, or who want to improve their knowledge before taking a university chemistry course. There is no laboratory work. Evaluation is based on a number of quizzes, a midterm exam, and a final exam.
This course is accepted by Dalhousie in place of NS Grade 12 Chemistry and may be used as the prerequisite for all Dalhousie first-year Chemistry classes.
Course Topics include:
- The different types of matter, properties of matter and changes in matter
- Atomic theory
- The periodic table and trends in properties of the elements
- Chemical bonding, including intermolecular bonding
- Balancing chemical equations, types of chemical reactions and nomenclature
- Introduction to chemical kinetics
- The mole, including stoichiometry, limiting reagents, mole conversions, percentage composition, empirical and molecular formula, and percent yield
- Solutions, including solubility and formation of precipitates and concentration of a solution
- Chemical equilibrium, including writing the equilibrium constant K, calculating K, and Le Chatelier’s principle
- Oxidation and reduction, including oxidation number, oxidizing and reducing agents, and the activity series of metals
- Acids and bases, including properties, Bronsted-Lowry theory, conjugate acids and bases, acid-base neutralization equations, titration problems
What You Will Learn
You will gain a solid foundation in the subject by learning the major concepts of Grade 11 and 12 Chemistry.
The Faculty of OLCD recommends an intermediate level of English language proficiency for the most effective learning and participation in our online and face-to-face courses. A list of minimum recommended scores on some common English tests can be found on our website. If you have questions about your English language proficiency and ability to succeed in this course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PrerequisitesNo prerequisites for this course.
This course is recommended for students who have never taken chemistry, or who want to improve their knowledge before taking a university chemistry course.
"I approached this course doubting that I would ever understand chemistry. I didn’t take it in high school and suffered greatly in DISP (Integrated Sciences) as well as dropping out of first year introductory chemistry at Dal. I now feel much more comfortable with more than just the basic concepts and I’m prepared to try the 1st year chemistry course again. This course wasn’t easy, but it wasn’t unbearably hard and I would recommend it to anyone who missed high school chemistry like me!"
~ Piper Sawchyn
“I took Chemistry in high school but only understood enough to pass. About 2 weeks into this course I had a Eureka moment and everything clicked. Rob Nalepa is an excellent teacher and is always open to questions.”
~ Kate More
“This course is perfect for anyone who wants to increase and perfect their knowledge of Chemistry. The class size is great and you are able to learn a lot in the time given. Mr. Nalepa is very caring and will help you at tutorials.”
~ Ryan Wills
“I attended 3 courses with Dalhousie Continuing Education ….the amount I learned though was more than I could have imagined. I am way more confident in my school work and feel ready for University. The course was not easy but I learned so much.”
~ Matthew Bellefontaine