Learners will earn a microcredential in Inclusive Communication Strategies.
Designed to reflect Canadian content and history, this course will walk participants through real-life scenarios that may challenge their understanding and, in the process, give them the opportunity to earn a Dalhousie microcredential in Inclusive Communication Strategies. Engage at your own pace, and supplement your learning with optional live Q&A sessions with the expert, instructor and course creator, Camille Dundas.
Camille will show teams how to get EDIA conversations to stick and keep teams talking about these important topics in new and courageous ways long after the course is done. Included in the course, teams will also have access to a knowledge bank of materials for a full year.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) Definitions
- Racism in the Workplace
- Bias in Recruiting and Hiring
- Allyship and Action Plans
What You Will Learn
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Define the terms equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging (DEIB)
- Explain why DEIB is an essential contributor to growing and maintaining business targets
- Summarize how leveraging diversity is essential in accessing and retaining top talent
- Define intersectionality and demonstrate the ability to use an intersectional lens when evaluating processes and progress
- Identify the difference between conscious and unconscious bias
- Identify the parts of your identity that impact how you experience the workplace
- Analyze key data points that impact statistical outcomes of BIPOC employees and corporate culture
- Identify ways to hold yourself accountable to ongoing education, growth and change; and more!
This course provides learners with the opportunity to earn a microcredential. A microcredential is evidence of a skill or competency that is employment related. Dalhousie microcredentials are developed in collaboration with employers, industries, and/or organizations that relate to the content. A microcredential can be displayed on social media pages, digital resumes, personal webpages, and in email signatures. To earn the microcredential in this course, learners will need to successfully complete a competency-based assessment.
To learn more about microcredentials and how they can enhance your learning portfolio, watch this 30-second YouTube video (video opens in a new window).
- For groups over 50 people:
- please contact Erin Careless to sign up for 4 live sessions.
- Those interested in building capacity for inclusive communications
- Those interesting in advancing their own learning around diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
- Employees of all levels of an organization
- Corporate groups
To discuss group training opportunities, please contact us at email@example.com.
Camille Dundas has deep expertise and shares her knowledge with authority, integrity and compassion. Knowing how to communicate in an inclusive way is a responsibility we all bear – everyone is accountable. Taking this course gives me confidence to increase the quality and impact of my communications in today’s complex, diverse world.
Erin Prendergast (she/her)
Chief, Strategic Initiatives
Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO)
There is something for everyone to learn in this course, and I strongly encourage all professionals, regardless of career stage, to take this course! The Foundations of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace was helpful in providing new information and tools to dismantle systems of oppression in the workplace and in our daily lives. Camille made sensitive topics around inequities and systemic issues easy to discuss and offers many different approaches to moving past performative allyship and truly acting and operating in solidarity with marginalized communities. The downloadable resources really reinforced the key learning outcomes, and I liked that I can share them with others in my workplace as well. Plus, the scenarios are much more helpful than typical e-learning quizzes!
Alexa J. Goodman (they/she)
Training Program Manager
Marine Environmental Observation Prediction and Response Network (MEOPAR)