In this course, students explore frameworks used to study and predict what people think, feel and do in and around organizations. The pandemic has introduced significant changes to how work is performed. So, a key question we will explore is – what's next and how might you and your organization prepare for it?
Module 1: Introduction
What's happened to your workplace over the last year? How have your work processes changed? How have you adjusted? Let's set the stage, build a community of learners, and make sure we all understand how to be successful in this course.
Module 2: Individual Behaviours and Processes
Our starting point is looking at ourselves and individual behaviours. The goal is to explore how personality, values, emotions, perceptions, and motivation impact on behaviours in the workplace. This will help us to better understand and tackle challenges such as diversity, inclusion, and remote working.
Module 3: Team Processes
Research demonstrates that teamwork is critical to business success. But what have your experiences been? Have your workplace teams been successful at infusing creativity, innovation, and strong decision-making in the workplace? Or have they been a frustrating experience? In this module, we will look at team structures, communication processes, creativity, and conflict to see how we can contribute to high-performing teams.
Module 4: Organizational Processes
As organizations grow, how the work is organized changes, and a culture starts to emerge. In this module, we will look at typical organizational structures, how they are changing, and what you need to do to be successful in these new structures. We will discover how a culture can be created and sustained. Finally, we will explore how organizations manage large-scale change initiatives.
What You Will Learn
- How to support diversity, inclusion, and equity initiatives in your daily work activities.
- How to help your workplace teams to work together effectively and to explore creative solutions to problems.
- How to respond to workplace conflict using a strategy focused on the specific situation rather than your preferred way of dealing with conflict.
- How to anticipate and be open to changes in the workplace.
For more Public Service Communicators courses click here.
- You're curious about out why people at work behave in so many different ways
- You would like to incorporate this knowledge into your workplace practices so that you and your team are engaged and motivated
- Ideally, you have some work experience (even part-time jobs provide a context for understanding and applying these frameworks)
- You have at least 3 hours each week to spend exploring the topics and reflecting on your workplace experiences
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Advanced Certificate in Fire Service Administration : Elective
- Certificate in Building Positive Workplace Cultures : Electives
- Fire Officer III Accreditation Track : Elective
- Certificate in Fire Service Administration : Electives (3)
- Certificate in Fire Service Administration: Human Resource Management : Electives (3)
- Certificate in Human Resources Management : Required
- Certificate in Local Government Human Resource Administration : Required (II)
- Public Safety Communicator Leadership Certificate : Electives