This 12-week course will introduce contemporary human resources (HR) practices. Human resources have become critical to organizational, team and individual successes. The course will begin with an overview of the strategies and outcomes, as well as some of the main challenges. The role of diversity is one of the foundational concepts applicable to public and private sector organizations. The course considers not only the reasons for diversity, but some of the main ways in which HR addresses diversity. This topic leads into an examination of recruitment and selection, focusing on best practices and processes to improve effectiveness. Various methods of building and maintaining staff capacity are examined and linked to the performance of the organization and teams. We then consider rewards, the total compensation function, concluding with employee relations, communication, and legislative roles and standards that HR must promote and support.
Module 1: Introduction to Human Resource Management
- Discuss the objectives of human resources management.
- Define human resource management and its link to an organization’s overall strategy.
- Identify the strategic human resources management challenges faced by organizations.
- Describe the key elements of the strategic human resource management model.
- Discuss the role of human resources in their organization.
Module 2: Diversity Management
- Explain the impacts and challenges of government legislation on human resource management.
- Define discrimination, harassment, employment equity, and diversity management in the context of prevailing legislation.
- Outline the purpose and scope of employment equity programs.
- Describe the strategic importance of diversity and what can be done to better manage it.
Module 3: Recruitment and Selection
- Explain the strategic importance of the recruitment function.
- Discuss opportunities and constraints in recruiting talent.
- Identify the appropriate methods for finding and attracting different types of recruits.
- Describe ways to evaluate the effectiveness of their recruitment efforts.
- Explain the strategic significance and main steps in selecting employees.
- Discuss applicant screening tools and employment tests in selecting employees.
- Outline the different types of interviews and the steps in the interview process.
- Explain the strategic significance of the selection function.
- Describe the difference steps involved in the selection process.
- Discuss the different types and uses of applicant screening tools in selecting employees.
- Outline the various steps in conducting an employment interview.
Module 4: Training and Employee Development
- Describe the purpose and impact of employee ‘onboarding’ and orientation programs.
- Explain the strategic reasons, approach, and techniques for designing training programs.
- Explain the business advantages and main elements of career planning and development.
- Discuss why and how to link career planning and employee development to business strategy.
- Discuss the purpose and goals of performance management as part of strategic human resource management.
- Describe key elements, methods, and guidelines for effective performance appraisals.
- Describe how human resources departments encourage and assist career planning as well as support the learning management framework.
Module 5: Reward Systems
- Explain the objectives of compensation management, including indirect compensation.
- Discuss the concepts of ‘pay equity’ and ‘equal pay for work of equal value.’
- Identify the major issues that influence compensation management.
- Describe the application and benefits of individual and group incentive systems.
- Describe total compensation as it relates to pay and overall organizational strategy.
- Identify the implications of employee security programs.
- Identify policies and practices that minimize benefit costs.
Module 6: Communication, Employee Relations, and Legislation
- Discuss the importance of downward and upward communication in organizational settings.
- Describe employee counseling and progressive discipline, and key issues regarding dismissal and employee rights.
- Explain different strategies to increase employee productivity and involvement.
- Outline the major issues related to workforce downsizing and the implications for strategic human resource management.
- Describe the major Canadian laws relating to occupational health and safety.
- Discuss roles and responsibilities for maintaining a healthy and safe work environment.
- Describe how occupational health and safety issues affect job performance and human resource management.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Human Resources Management : Required
- Certificate in Local Government Human Resource Administration : Required (II)
- Certificate in Police Supervisory Skills : Required
- Public Safety Communicator Leadership Certificate : Electives