Since the passing of Bill C-218, Ontario has led the liberalization of the online casino gaming space (iGaming) and single event wagering. Other provinces in Canada are at various stages of liberalizing iGaming and single event wagering as well. Approximately 70 private sector online gaming websites registered and launched within Ontario alone in 2022. At the same time, traditional land-based casinos have sought to launch their own concurrent iGaming offerings. This increase in gaming operators has posed a challenge for police officers across Canada as they deal with legal – and illegal – casinos and gaming.
This fully online course is offered jointly by Dalhousie University and the Association of Certified Gaming Compliance Specialists (ACGCS). Completion of the course will give students the Certified Gaming Compliance Specialist (CGCS) certification from the ACGCS.
- Module 1: The Casino/iGaming Environment in Canada
- Module 2: Crime and Casinos
- Module 3: Money Laundering
- Module 4: Fraud
- Module 5: Bribery and Corruption
- Module 6: Casino Gaming Investigations
- Module 7: Sports Betting and Match-Fixing
- Module 8: Financial Crime Typologies in Land-Based Casinos and iGaming
- Module 9: Human Trafficking
- Module 10: Responsible Gaming
- Module 11: Regulatory Framework and Reporting
- Module 12: Future Challenges and Risks
What You Will Learn
- Understand the legal casino and iGaming landscape in Canada
- Have an awareness of recent changes in Canada’s approach to casino gaming
- Understand key risks faced by casino and iGaming operators, including money laundering and fraud
- Be familiar with how sports betting works and how betting manipulation can occur
- Be aware of common crime typologies that impact casino gaming, including human trafficking and loansharking
- Have an awareness of the legal and regulatory framework that casinos and iGaming operators follow
The Faculty of OLCD recommends an intermediate level of English language proficiency for the most effective learning and participation in our online and face-to-face courses. A list of minimum recommended scores on some common English tests can be found on our website. If you have questions about your English language proficiency and ability to succeed in this course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PrerequisitesThere are no prerequisites for this course.
- Those looking to transition into a casino gaming compliance or investigation role in the private sector
- Those currently working in casino gaming compliance looking for career development in the private sector
- Those working in financial crime compliance or investigations who are looking to develop their understanding of this sector
- Police officers looking to gain an understanding of the ever-growing legal and illegal casino gaming environment
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- Certificate in Police Leadership : Elective