This 100% online course teaches the writing and composition skills needed for successful university study and is intended for students with English as a first language. This course is accepted by Dalhousie University in place of NS Grade 12 English to prepare you for the writing demands in all university-level courses.
Course Topics Covered:
- write effectively structured, coherent paragraphs
- write essays using conventional techniques for gathering material, choosing a topic, forming a thesis statement, preparing an out-line, writing the first draft, editing and revising
- use various methods of developing paragraphs and essays, for example narration, description, cause and effect, argument and persuasion
- read critically, assessing authors’ ideas and techniques; basic aspects of grammar and style will also be reviewed.
Brief journal entries will be submitted weekly in addition to assignments, and participants are asked to be available online on specific dates for assessments (these dates will be confirmed by the Instructor on the first day of the course).
What You Will Learn
This course teaches the writing and composition skills needed for successful university study.
Please note that Writing Skills for Academic Study is accepted by Dalhousie University as a prerequisite for admission in place of NS Grade 12 English. This course does NOT however, meet the English Proficiency requirement for admission into Dalhousie University.
* University Prep courses are non-credit preparatory courses. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that each course he/she enrolls in is accepted at other post-secondary institutions, beyond Dalhousie University.
The Faculty of OLCD recommends an intermediate level of English language proficiency for the most effective learning and participation in our online and face-to-face courses. A list of minimum recommended scores on some common English tests can be found on our website. If you have questions about your English language proficiency and ability to succeed in this course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
No prerequisites required for this course.
For Mature Students seeking admissions to a Bachelor of Arts degree, this is one of the requirements for admission.
This course is intended for students with English as a first language.
~ Victoria Thompson
"The course was beneficial for my writing. I feel confident that I have obtained the skills required to succeed in university."
~ Mark Kearney