This certificate introduces students to renewable energy, smart cities, and the clean technologies that are shaping the future. You will be introduced to wind, solar, geothermal, biomass, hydro as well as conventional energy systems such as coal, gas and nuclear power. Participants will learn how renewables work, where they can be deployed most effectively, and about the most promising renewable technologies under development. You will also gain an understanding of the economics of renewables, policy directions, and how renewables will integrate with smart grids and the Internet of Things (IoT). It is ideal for those who want to develop, manage, invest or simply improve their understanding of the rapidly evolving clean energy sector.
A wide variety of instructional techniques will be used to deliver this online program. Live instruction will be combined with interactive group assignments, discussion-forums, and exercises that promote the application of theory.
By completion of the certificate, you will be able to describe the mechanics of how power and heat are generated, financially evaluate and compare sustainable energy technologies and describe the major steps required to design, implement and manage your own sustainable energy project. You will also be qualified to write the Sustainable Energy Professional (SEP) exam as part of the Foundation Technologies Institute credentialing process.
If you are passionate about technology, innovation and climate change, this certificate is right for you.
Who should attend
- Individuals who want to enhance their resume and marketability in the clean technology job market.
- Industry executives interested in expanding their knowledge on the rapidly growing renewable energy sector.
- Project managers, developers and investors interested in expanding their career or business with renewable energy.
- It is recommended that participants have completed secondary school or equivalent, be proficient (to university level) in English. Between two to five years working experience is preferred but not required.
What you will learn
- Participants will gain practical knowledge and skills to be able to:
- Walk through every step required to design, implement and manage a sustainable energy project.
- Recognize the most common and most innovative applications of energy in electricity, transportation, heat and buildings.
- Understand the mechanics of how power and heat are generated and utilized.
- Financially evaluate and compare sustainable energy technologies.
- Understand barriers and incentives to implementation of renewable energy technologies.
To enrol in this certificate, please register for the first of the three (3) required courses:
- CCE-SETC0010 Energy Fundamentals
- CCE-SETC0011 Wind Energy Developers
- CCE-SETC0012 Solar Energy Developers
Please contact Julie Webb at 902-717-0793 or 1-800-565-8867 for more information.
It is highly recommended that participants complete the three courses in sequential order. The certificate is awarded after the completion of the three courses, including all quizzes and final exams. This represents approximately 108 hours of training which includes online sessions, home study, assignments and exam preparation. The participants must attain a minimum of 65% for each course and an aggregate average of at least 70% in the certificate.
Reference books (suggested, not required)
- Fundamentals and Applications of Renewable Energy, Kanoglu et. al, 2020. Available through Amazon.
- Renewable Energy Finance: Powering the Future , Donavan C., 2015. Available through Amazon.
As renewable energy consultant, Shehin supports First Nations in the Great Bear Rainforest and Haida Gwaii in transitioning their fossil fuel-dependent electrical grids to renewable energy sources.
Shehin has a background in engineering, specializing in microgrid design, feasibility, and technical due diligence. She has extensive experience in the sustainable energy sector, working for non-profit organizations, start-ups, academic institutions, and the private sector. Today she works at the conservation finance organization, Coast Funds. She also serves on the board of directors for The Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society of BC.
Shehin was born and raised on the unceded ancestral lands of the xwm?θkw?y??m (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and S?l?ílw?ta/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) First Nations, in what is now known as greater Vancouver.
The Renewable Energy Sector employed 11 million people in 2018, with employment numbers growing by close to one million every year (IRENA, Annual Review, 2019). The most common industries and employment fields seeking out renewable energy expertise include: Power Producers, Green Building Developers, Government Agencies (Energy, Infrastructure, Environment), Utility Companies, Energy Marketing Agencies, Investment Firms, Consulting Groups, Regulators, Financial Planning Groups, Consumer Mediation Groups, Auditing agencies.
Need to apply to transfer credit for learning from external sources to a certificate?
Click here to apply Prior Learning Assessment Application Form